Wednesday 15 March 2017

John Keats - Ode on Melancholy

Hi everyone,


I know I'll have mentioned the Greek mythology element, and you certainly should find a way to mention it in your essays due to Keats' consistent focus on the legendary / mythological.  Consider the atmospheres that are evoked by this technique, and how these references establish a foundation from which to view and compare the other two stanzas.

For the whole story of Psyche, this is quite informative.

You could look up the Catholic rosary if you want to firm up your understanding of that image.

The search to more clearly understand Negative Capability is a deep dark hole that I don't know if I really want to go down, in fear I might not emerge alive.  After you.  :)

All that said, there are various great places to look into Keats' life and this particular work.  Mr. Sir recommends the Shmoop and Sparknotes pages.  I thoroughly agree.  Remember to look at the bit on Sparknotes regarding the original 1st stanza.

(No, I didn't conveniently link those sites for you here.  Hah.)

Mr. Sir himself has some good observations, and you may find that we tend to agree.  Overall.  You should definitely check out the final paragraph of his Language & Techniques section.

Meanwhile, I'm still chewing on that 'shade to shade' line.  Lots of possible interpretations, and I'm not sure I'm happy with any of them.  Which brings me back to negative capability.  (argh)


- T. Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment