Tuesday 7 March 2017

Charlotte Mew - Rooms

Hi everyone,


This one was actually quite a lot of fun to take apart on my own.  And this time I will require a little more of exactly that from you.  :)

Rather than link to further research, I'll give you thoughts for expanding your notes.  That said, Mr. Sir has a link for this one (I think it's this one) to an essay that does a pretty good analysis.

Remember she seems to like sounds and the absence of sounds.  Look for how sound and rhythm mirrors mood and/or content.

Consider the connotations of the words that are contrasted so frequently.

Look at structure.  What is the tone of the open-ended and enjambed lines?  What is the purpose of the indents?

As we may have said in class (but I probably got carried away and forgot to mention), the paradoxical semantic field suggests a sense of balance.  Does this always apply?  Why does she seek this balance so persistently?

Happy researching.


- T. Marcus


No comments:

Post a Comment